The Global Environment Centre was established in 1998 to work on environmental issues of global importance. The Centre is registered in Malaysia as a non-profit organization (Reg. no. 473058-T) but works regionally and internationally both directly and through many partners. It supports information exchange and capacity building as well as undertakes strategic projects particularly in developing countries. It works in partnership with other like-minded agencies worldwide.
To support the protection of the environment and sustainable use of the natural resources to meet local, regional and global needs, through strategic partnerships with communities and like-minded organizations.
- To promote integrated management of biopersity and water resources with a focus on community involvement and biopersity conservation.
- To promote the protection and sustainable use of forests and wetlands with a focus on integrated management for biopersity and climate change
- To enhance awareness, understanding and capacity as well as partnerships between different organizations and sectors to address environmental issues.
- River Care Programme
The focus of this programme is to promote and support the integrated management of river basins with particular emphasis on ensuring that biopersity and wetland conservation and community considerations are incorporated into river basin management.
- Forest and Biopersity Programme
The Forest Programme includes activities related to assessment and management of forests at local, national and regional levels. The Programme includes a focus on protection and rehabilitation of mangrove and hill forests in partnership with local communities.
- Peatland Programme
The Peatland Programme includes a broad range of activities related to assessment and management of peatlands at local, national and global level. The Programme includes a focus on community involvement, biopersity and climate change.
- Outreach and Partnerships Programme
This programme area incorporates activities relating to general capacity building, environmental education, information exchange and awareness raising on global environment issues.
Location and Mailing Address
Global Environment Centre (GEC)
2nd Floor, Wisma Hing, No.78, Jalan SS2/72,
47300 Petaling Jaya,
For more information, please visit our website:www.gec.org.my